Crispy Baked Chicken with Roasted Carrots
Better than fast food! This chicken is moist and tender on the inside, and crunchy on the outside. The carrots dip so well in the ranch dressing, you won't even miss French fries!
Ingredients for Chicken
- 3 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs or crushed cornflakes
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. mustard
- 4 tbsp flour (gluten free OK)
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1 kg/2 lb chicken tenders (or chicken breast cut into 2/3″ / 1.5cm thick slices, lengthwise)
- Oil spray
Directions for Baking Chicken
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F.
- Place a rack on a baking tray . (If you don’t have a rack, crumple aluminum foil, and place on baking tray so that there will be some airflow under the chicken pieces. Spray the foil)
- Measure eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, flour, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk with a fork until combined.
- Add the chicken pieces one a time into the batter and toss to coat.
- Roll the chicken in the panko or cornflakes and coat well. Place on baking sheet.
- Spray lightly with oil. Bake for 10 minutes (if small) – 15 minutes (medium to large).
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Put the carrots in the oven, then make the chicken. The longer the carrots are in the oven, the softer and sweeter they get!
Ingredients for Roasted Carrots
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions for Roasting Carrots
- Slice carrots lengthwise
- drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread evenly on a foil-lines baking sheet, and roast for 20 minutes.
Homemade Ranch Dressing
This dressing is great for the chicken and carrots. If you have any left, use it tomorrow on a salad or sandwich!
Ingredients for Ranch Dressing
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 6 Tbsp milk
- 3 tsp lemon juice or white/light colored vinegar
- 3/4 tsp dried herbs (any blend of parsley, dill, chives, basil, oregano, thyme)
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
Instructions for Ranch Dressing
Mix all ingredients until blended thoroughly. Adjust to taste.
This ketchup has less salt and sugar than store-bought. You can tweak the ingredients to make it just the way you want it!
Ingredients for Ketchup
- 6 oz can of tomato paste
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoon mustard powder (or 1 tsp mustard)
Instructions for Ketchup
Mix all ingredients. Adjust to taste.